Time is Money – How to Minimise my Fee!

Time is Money – How to minimise my Fee!

Some practical points to minimise time and therefore the cost of our Notarial meeting. These are simple points and perhaps seem a little obvious once written but time and time again I find that not doing them can cost you in terms of delay and expense. So:-

* If you can, please send your paperwork to me by fax or email to me before our meeting. Five or ten minutes of my time in consideration could give me the opportunity to identify any defect in the papers which have been provided from abroad – this would at the very least save you the inconvenience of a wasted journey before any such problems are resolved.

* If appropriate please send me also the full set of instructions you have received from your advisers abroad. Sometimes the instructions are impossible to understand – sometimes they are impossible to achieve – for example if the advisers abroad are requiring that an Apostille be attached to a copy of your UK Birth or Marriage Certificate they will have to be told this is not possible.

* Sometimes instructions are incomplete. For example there may be three or four documents required and you may be told to obtain further legalisation – yes, – but – if we can bind the documents together this will save legalisation fees. We need to be told therefore whether the documents can be bound together in order to reduce the total number of Certificates – sometimes this can save hundreds of pounds but sometimes if the papers were bundled together then the receiving jurisdiction would reject everything and then we would have to start again. Only your advisers abroad have this information and neither you nor we are telepathic.

* Bring your Identification papers – before any notarial job can be carried out we are required to see original identification for each client i.e. passport and proof of address i.e. utility bill or bank statement. We do state this in our confirmation of appointment email to clients but we do on occasion have clients attend our offices who have not brought the full identification documents – this can delay matters because we cannot release any papers until those identification requirements are satisfied.

Below is a list of some of the most popular services that we offer.

Translation Services.

If you need any documentation translating from any language then we can help. We have agents who can make any translations you require. All you need to do is send a scan (if possible) by email otherwise by fax and we can obtain a quote from our translators and revert back to you with the translation cost and also the notarisation quote.

Working Abroad If you plan on working abroad then please note we can deal with authenticating your educational certificates. There are alternative notarisations that can be given on educational certificates and the two notarisations [Verified, or Non-Verified] have been mentioned in our earlier blogs – see link for more info: Verify?

If you require any further information in relation to the services that we offer then please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to discuss in more detail and also tell you any guidance about legalisation for that particular country.

Property abroad

If you are looking to purchase or sell a property overseas then the likelihood is that you will need to see a Notary in England at some point to deal with your legal documents. We are able to liaise with your legal advisers abroad and obtain directly to us by email [then print out] any documentation that you are required to sign. We also have various contacts throughout the world so if you need a foreign adviser please contact us and we might be able to put you in touch with one of our contacts.

Court documents

If you have an ongoing Court case abroad then please note that any Court documents which you need to deal with i.e. Affidavits, Declarations etc. can be attested and sworn here in our office in Leeds negating the need for you to travel overseas to do this.

Marriages abroad

If you are wishing to tie the knot overseas then we can help. You will most likely be asked to produce notarised identification documents or completed Notices of Intended Marriage forms. A quick trip into our office and we can deal with your requirements swiftly and accurately and of course also help with any legalisation requirements.

Execution in England of your foreign Will

Above are just a few of examples of the work we do: but there is really no end to the scope of the Certifications we can give.

Please do navigate through to our website for more information or contact us by phone or email, we are very happy to help: at http://www.atkinsonnotary.com or phone me on 0113 816 0116 (internationally 0044 113 8160116) and email notary@atkinsonnotary.com and louise@atkinsonnotary.com

Internet And Email Safety – Can You Spot A Scam? Take a Test!

Internet And Email Safety – Can You Spot A Scam?

No doubt most of us believe that we are reasonably safe in our use of computers and IT. Sufficiently aware of the risks to ensure that the 419 scammers will not hook us in with promises of [non-existent] legacies from deceased Nigerian millionaires.

Perhaps because most Scammers and Phishers are blatantly obvious, there is a risk that the more clever scams can get under the radar. The criminals are well aware of this and will be working long hours refining and improving the tricks of their horrible trade.
Not so long ago a fake email pretending to come from a Bank would contain ludicrous grammar and spelling mistakes. Now, not so much.

However careful you think you are, it never hurts to review your personal or Company procedures. How about your response to the latest round of scams – the false invoice?
These past months there has been a massive increase in fake invoices purportedly from the European Patent office or the Office For Harmonisation In The Internal Market – and/or appearing to emanate from Other International Patent Design or Trademark Registration Authorities.

Because the sums demanded in these fake invoices are, generally speaking, fairly low the likelihood is that the invoice email or letter will be passed to relatively junior staff in the accounts department of a Business and get paid.

Of course the criminal does not know whether any particular Business actually has any Spanish or Chinese Intellectual Property to protect. He doesn’t care. It is a percentage game – sending millions of invoices to get hundreds of them paid.

There is more detail on the government website link below.

If you feel reasonably confident – not to say a little bit smug – that your systems and procedures are in good order you can try a simple test on the internet from the Citizens Advice Bureau website

Can you score 100%? Let me know if you did – good luck.

Please do contact me whenever you need Notarial Certification or Legalisation – at http://www.atkinsonnotary.com or phone me on 0113 816 0116 (internationally 0044 113 8160116)

The Government advice page

The CAB quiz –

Continuing Confusion about Children Travelling Alone – What Papers will They Need?

The internet is a wonderful tool: it lets me see whether anybody actually reads my blogs and, hooray for that, the answer is yes you do!

One of the hottest topics on my Blog, with consistently the highest number of readers and to which readers are returning over and over again is the knotty question “What documents do I need to supply when my children are travelling without both parents?”
I am not surprised. The newspapers are full of warnings and stories about grandparents or single parents or family friends being detained with children at Airports and Border crossings whilst the Authorities investigate possible child abduction.

One problem, as I have just checked on the net, is that for every hundred websites addressing this problem there will be at least one hundred different pieces of conflicting advice.

A National website of any Country will advise only as to their own Country’s requirements. An Airline site will advise only about its own Company policy – usually each giving no regard to the bigger picture.

The fact is that the only safest way forward is to give the matter as much thought and preparation as possible and to prepare a pack of documents including a Parental Consent. Among them I would suggest

* Birth Certificates of the Child and both Parents,
* the Parents’ marriage certificate if applicable,
* the Parents’ or Guardians’ own passport copies,
* copies of the flight bookings if possible,
* proof if the non-travelling parent has paid for the travel
* And then to get the whole pack Notarized.

Sometimes all of these papers are not available of course, but the thing is to show as much as you can.

It does concern me that so few “advising” websites mention Notarization because many Countries insist upon this and those who do not insist are nevertheless more likely to accept a Notarized certificate without fuss.

Further if your children are travelling without both parents [ i.e. with only one parent, or with friends or wider family non-parental adults] to Countries that have signed the Hague Convention 1961 [I can advise about that] then I can proceed to get a Foreign & Commonwealth Office Apostille stamp – and for appropriate Countries I can get the Consular stamps also.

A further tip I would give is that you should prepare your certificate in more than one original or at the very least one original but with several certified copies. There are many Border Guards who will take the certificate away from the travellers and keep it to protect their own position in the event of any later problem. Of course the downside of that is that at the next border, or in a vast country like Brazil then at the next internal flight airport, you have no papers left in your possession to produce to the next Border Guard who wants to see it.

I am not saying that if you do not make these preparations then your children will necessarily have to end up in a timeless limbo like Tom Hanks in The Terminal – growing up stateless in an Airport! – but even half an hour spent in detention in a Customs office or a Police Station can be a very horrible experience. And of course a very expensive one if there are missed connecting flights and where perhaps there is only one flight a week between destinations then there will be additional hotel, taxi and food costs wasted during an additional unwanted and enforced week on “Holiday”.

Please do contact me whenever you need Notarial certification or Legalisation – at http://www.atkinsonnotary.com or phone me on 0113 816 0116 (internationally 0044 113 8160116)

Mobile Notary – in Leeds and Beyond

Mobile Notary – in Leeds and Beyond

Happy New Year to All

After three days back in the Office (Christmas? yes, I vaguely remember) things are getting back to normal.

No Detailed Blog this week you may be disappointed to see, because I have been too busy walking the dog and then eating and drinking to excess as if I deserve it – so it’s more of a Commercial.

Just a reminder that I offer Notarial services for my clients in North and West Yorkshire. Please note that if you have requirements to see a Notary to deal with documents for use overseas then I can help. My office is in Leeds but I can also attend your office or home should this be more convenient.

I deal with Notarial matters only – this means that usually I can act upon your requirements without delay.

I find that, more often than not, a client’s requirements are urgent and that the Foreign Jurisdiction require the documents to be dealt with immediately.

Louise and I can help – our promise to you is that will do everything in our power to meet any tight deadlines that may be given. We can also obtain Foreign Office Apostilles and also any necessary Consular stamps.

Please feel free to contact me or Louise on 0113 816 0116 or email notary@atkinsnotary.com and louise@atkinsonnotary.com whenever a discussion would be helpful.